Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dangers of Facebook


I have been thinking and hearing about the dangers of Facebook a lot lately. Made me wonder how many potentially incriminating photos I have up on that puppy- and the amount of potentially incriminating photos that I'm not even aware of are up there - SCARY! Is my potential employer actually going to find a way onto my Facebook page and creep me out? Is that why I havnt been getting those jobs after the first interview?


Its been bothering me for a few reasons. Are my children going to one day have access to my ancient Facebook page and see pictures of me pouring vodka into my topless friend's mouth in Mexico over spring break? Just the thought that this is a potential issue makes me cringe...

Will my parents see the insane online version of me and my friends? I know that Ive exposed children of family friends online to my parents. No harm done though, right? Wrong. Obviously these photos show a side of you that no one knows other than your friends at University. I think that Facebook should have stayed a University networking site, for this reason.


I hate worrying that other will interpret my online identity as something that it is not. And the idea of Facebook owning my online face! This kills me, it will never be mine again. I want to be a lawyer one day- how will Facebook affect that plan? It has the ability to potentially ruin my future career! Im scared...

1 comment:

  1. I think that facebook definitely has the potential to affect our futures especially our career aspirations. My boyfriend just got a summer job and his new boss has tried to add him to facebook...my first guess as to why he would do this is to try and see what he is really like. Employers are able to learn a lot about us by taking a look at our profiles. Many of my friends have deleted their facebook accounts because they are aspiring teachers or police officers and cannot hold an account because of this. All of this talk about the dangers of facebook makes you realize how much our actions of today affect our future. The scariest part is that once we post photos we no longer have the power over who sees them and what happens to them...this is frightening! I definitely agree with you in that facebook has the potential to ruin our future plans.

    ReplyDelete